|This is a sketch of the old Court House in Penn Square,|
Lancaster, where St. James Church was organized in
1744 and where the early services were held.
|The Rev. Thomas Barton became|
minister in 1759, but was ousted
in 1776 because of his loyalty to England.
|This was the seating plan of the main level for|
St. James in 1791. Pews were rented by parishioners.
Notice the box for servants and negroes at the rear.
Click on the image to read the names of the members.
|The churchyard of St. James. The post tops date from 1762.|