|Recent job I matted and framed for a customer.|
(1) Few - Every rule must have a specific function, a recognized and attainable purpose, and fill a compelling need.
(2) Firm - Every rule, once established, must be consistently and firmly enforced, but not stridently or intractably so, and punishment must be proportionate to the behavior, swift and certain.
(3) Fair - Each rule must be reasonable, have a solid and valid purpose, show proper understanding of normal human behavior, be enforced without malice or vendetta, and its application be even handed, with commensurate and consistent punishment.
(4) Announced and understood - All rules must be plainly published prior to effective date, adequately explained, and contain no surprise sanctions.
(5) Subject to review and change - Rules to be purposeful, relevant, and effective, must provide for adapting their requirements and prohibitions to changing goals, and unusual or unanticipated circumstances.
Rules to be effective must earn and command respect. Rules for Rules are equally applicable to the home, the school, the Church, and civil authority. The result is more important than the rule!
OK, now I get it! I must make a large poster of these Rules for Rules to take along with me when I visit my brother so when he insists I play Casino, I'll be able to present him with the Rules for Rules before we begin. Only way I will every be able to beat him. It was another extraordinary day in the life of an ordinary guy.